Thursday 8 September 2016

SURVIVING LONDONS PUBLIC TRANSPORT

Before I arrived in London I knew that the biggest hurdle I was going to face was the morning and evening commute. Aside from having a really irrational fear of falling onto the live wire and frazzling, (honestly, I lose much sleep over that) the high numbers of half asleep morning commuters can make the morning tube commute utter hell for a newcomer. I'm no stranger to London but when I came here on holiday I was at least clever enough to avoid rush hour like the plague but now, after 4 months of learning to commute the hard way, I'm going to share with you my London Tube Do's and DONT'S!!!!! 
 
  So here we go!
  
  1. Never ever ever EVER approach a ticket barrier if you don't have your Oyster card or contactless ready
 
Well done, you have just pointed out to the whole of London that you are a) a commuter newbie or b) a tourist, none of which goes down well during rush hour. Sad but true. In a city where every second counts and most people find the 2 minute wait between tubes unbearable, a bottle neck or hold up at a ticket barrier is an absolute no no, having to stop is inexcusable. Having to stop for more than 5 seconds while someone fumbles in their bag for a ticket is downright life-ruining.
 
  2. It's worth waiting the extra 2 minutes 
 
This is the one hack I learnt when I moved to Acton. If you have two trains arriving a minute apart, get on the second one and let everyone else get on the first. All the rushers will have piled off of the platforms onto the train and when the next train arrives a minute later, the platform will still be pretty empty, allowing you to get a seat on the commute like a boss. I'ts worth saying that if the last train was 5 minutes ago, the next train will be heaving as the platforms at previous stations will have gotten 5 minutes to get nice and busy again. Avoid those trains. 
 
 3. Plan your exit strategy
 
In the morning I swap from the Central line to the Victoria line at Oxford Circus, one of the bussiest stations. When my train gets in at the platform, the exit for the Victoria line is right at the back of the train (very end of the platform). To save fighting my way through the crowd on the platform I always travel in the last tube carriage, that way when I arrive at Oxford Circus I get off, turn right and boom! Off the platform before anyone can get in the way! This is definitely one of the best pieces of advice I could give, I hate fighting my way through crowds of people on the platform, its a lot like salmon swimming up stream so figure out ASAP where your station exit is and where is best to stand on the tube so that you get to it as easily as possible. 
 
4. Pair your suit with a nice set of Nikes
 
This is one for the women! I don't fall into this category as my footwear can we whatever I want but it' not an uncommon site to see women on the tube ditching the heels for trainers- at least until they get into the office. Commuting is hard enough without getting sore feet or your nice new heels stood on so its worth 30 unfashionable minutes if it means you can leg it up an escalator and beat everyone to the ticket hall. 
 
5. Learn the Luggage Laws
 
Personally, If I'm travelling with a suitcase I avoid rush hours altogether but for some people taking a suitcase onto the tube during rush hour isn't an option so here are some tips on what to do. 
DO NOT move down inside the train and stand between the seats, you have blocked the whole damn corridor and will find it impossible to maneuvre the suitcase to let people past when they need to get off. Stay in the open area infront of the doors but DO NOT stand right infront of them. When those doors open during rush hour its a mad dash to get as many people off and then on as possible, if your suitcase is in the way it's going to get kicked repeatedly. DO stash the suitcase beside the doors and the glass separator, suitcases prosper well there, if you can score yourself a space in the area where the seats fold down even better!!. (Glad I got that bit over and out the way!)
 
6. TFL Route Planner
 
This pieve of travel genius has gotteb me out of many sticky situations since I got here. It's basically a fail safe for planning your tube commute until you're confident doing it. I use it when I travel anywhere in London that I've not been before or if theres a problem with my tube line and I can't take the usual route home. It's a great thing to have just in case! 
 
TFL Route Planner 
 
7.  It gets hot in here
 
I struggle with heat, and underground it feels to me like it's magnified ten-fold. I don't know why it is, probably a lack of fresh air circulation but the tube on a hot day is absolutely horrible. If you also add into the equation the sheer number of people who are on your train and feeling just as terrible as you are, you can start to get an idea of how hot it can get. Perfume and deoderant should always be in your bag for these occasions so that you can freshen up again when you arrive home/to the office. Water is also a no-brainer for a hot tube commute and if there's one place I suggest you stand it would be right infront of the open window at the front of the carriage, it's not fresh air but as least it's a bit cooler...
 
  8. Bring a book
 
Or listen to music. As with any form of public transport, making the time pass faster is always preferred. Personally I love reading a book because I like to hear the tube announcements but loads of people board the tube with Metros, books, Kindls, PSVitas, Ipods you name it! I don't think many solo tube travellers dare start the journey without having something to distract them so be sure to have something on you to make the time pass faster.

So those are my tube tips! Some of them are definitely more obvious than others but maybe some of them have taught you something new before you tackle your commute. I definitely don't know everything there is about surviving rush hour in London but so far after 4 months I still don't find it boring which is a good thing. If I'm being honest you see some weird and wonderful things when travelling on the Tube in the morning and you definitely arrive at the office with some stories to tell!
If you have any extra tips you could share with me, feel free, I'm forever looking for new ways to survive the morning and evening rush hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment