Wednesday 22 May 2013

Futuristic Eurovision garments

I finally got around to watching the Eurovision Song Contest today and oh my some of the dresses! I've been keeping an eye out for some inspiration incase I decide to do another collection for next year and this certainly helped!

I want to talk about Norway because her dress was by far my favourite, it was very 'futuristic' but managed to remain simple and flattering.
I really like the shoulder detail on this and it reminded me of other futuristic gowns that have simple features and yet have a fantastic overall silhouette. Less is more when it comes to these types of garments. I also liked the banding across her garment and when it was paired with the paneling it gave great detail but in a very understated way.
A few examples of similar dresses:

Now you can't talk Eurovision without mentioning some of it's tackier outfits!

Here is Romanias entry and I have to say that while I felt the overall performance was all that Eurovision stood for the outfit reminded me of a character called 'Raven' from the Scottish television programme with the same name. There was just far too much going on here in terms of the outfit for me to handle. 
 And finally this is another example of a 'futuristic' gown with a twist! Miss Moldova wore a white gown with a structured shoulder but the real wonder of it was due to light projections which made the dress change and for example look like it was engulfed in flame. It was a great idea but as soon as Graham Norton went 'watch the dress you may be surprised' it became increasingly obvious what was going to happen. Still a great effect though.

The rest of the night provided other more 'safe' garments and a mixture of the utterly bizarre but these were a few that stood out and inspired me!

So yeah the Eurovision Song Contest has provided a lot of inspiration in terms of the possibilities for next year, I've never used embellishments before but I'm now enticed by all the glitter and sequins!!

No comments:

Post a Comment