Friday 9 August 2013

Jewellery In Fashion

I've not updated this blog as often as I'd like to this month due to working a lot of overtime at the moment but I've had this blog post sitting here unfinished for quite a while so here goes!! It's a little different from my usual topics of conversation but it's something I found really interesting.

So last week my mum invited a load of her friends around and had a Jewellery Party in our house. Now usually this isn't my sort of thing but it actually turned out to be quite the learning experience and has inspired me to do this post about jewellery and how it can relate to outfits you're wearing etc.

So last week Lesley Bruce who is the woman that creates all of this wonderful contemporary jewellery came round and set up shop in our livingroom and taught us all a lot about jewellery and how it can enhance your appearance and your outfits.

For example she told us how people with long, slim necks should wear necklaces that sit quite high up on the neck and vice versa so as to make the neck appear longer or shorter. There was also a lot of emphasis on how the colour of your jewellery can compliment your skin tone and eye colour etc which was something I had never even considered. Usually I just buy a lot of silver jewellery and to be fair my purchase from the night was in that category but I also got to try on a multicolored piece which really brought out my outfit.

Lesley also offers a service where she does the colours of her clients and fits them into categories of Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter depending on their skin tone and tells then what colours better suit them. I never got my colours done but those at the party who got the service were really interested in hearing what colours would really suit them and they bought jewellery accordingly. Everyone has at some point tried on a top or dress that has really washed them out or made them feel really pale in skin tone so by getting your colours done you can find out what sort of tones can really enhance your appearance and help you make the most of what god gave you to work with!

The piece of jewellery I settled on was a long silver chain that sits through a hoop, this makes the piece adjustable and stops it from danging on just one part of your body which is a really common problem I have when I buy long necklaces. When I was younger I wore the big long necklaces and on hundreds of occasion I found that moving about would cause the necklace to just sit around one boob...very attractive!! The piece was chosen to go with an outfit I like to wear a lot but have nothing to accessorize with and was only £21 which was a really good price for what I got!

Overall the night was very interesting. It really got me thinking abut what I would choose if i decided to accessorize my collection next year. There's a lot of ways to make necks look longer, split up garments to enhance them and really colour compliment garments so this is something I will really have a think about. Leslie also had this amazing Italian glass she works into her pieces that made necklaces look as though they lit up when the light hit them, I can imagine the impression those pieces of jewellery must make when someone enters a party and must be an instant talking point.

I've included a few photos from the night, I'd encourage a lot of people to get involved in parties like these. I love fashion but am very clueless with accessories which is why I barely own any bracelets and necklaces etc so it really opens your eyes about what you can do to make your outfits look even better and take them to the next level. So yeah! Here are some photos of the pieces from last night including a photo of my casual outfit for the evening. I don't know why but I never really wear jeans, however my sister gave me this pair of high waisted ones and I have fallen in love with them, I definitely think there's something about a jeans and t-shirt combo that can be very sexy.









2 comments:

  1. Welcome to my Etsy store! Kingston Jewellery is designed and created in Victoria, Australia. All designs are individual and no two are the. semi precious necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! thanks a lot for the comment! It's nice to hear that someone appreciates the time I take to write these posts, I'll give you a follow!

    ReplyDelete