Monday 30 September 2013

Week 2 at University

Well week 2 turned out to be just as intense as week 1!! I'm writing this on my Monday day off so I'm actually to start week 3 tomorrow which means its down to the nitty gritty but before all that I think it's time for a little bit of reflecting...
 
Week 2 actually turned out to only be 2 days but there was a whole bunch of scary stuff crammed into those two days!!
 
Monday started off with my strategic management class which made a lot more sense this time round I must admit. It turns out that a lot of the stuff I learnt in my advanced Higher class in high school is gonna relate to that class so once I've finished writing this I'm going upstairs to somehow dig out all my old stuff from under my bed.
 
After that class I had my collection meeting and luckily my origami theme got approved and I just found out about an hour ago that the teacher I really wanted to b my mentor for the year is actually who I got!!
 
So my collection this year is about how origami has affected high street fashion and I've decided to make it for the Topshop Unique brand which is beneficial as they go above and beyond with their collections because it's presence at LFW makes it so much different from other high street brands.
 
Thursday was my international trading issues class in which we had a bit of a more in depth look at China and how much its grown in the past few decades which is really fascinating. Chinese people have much better work ethics and saving methods than us brits, many Chinese people save about 50% of what they earn which is incredible compared to the 10% or less that most brits are managing to save at the moment.
 
So that was my week! After the meeting where  my collection idea got approved I started immediately on my first sketchbook of ideas and this weekend I found a great fabric I'm wanting to incorporate into my designs.
 
I have never worked with prints in my time at university and was considering using a Japanese style print for my collection. However my mentor said that would be too cliché so I have found this fantastic geometric print instead that I'm loving and has a nice young look to it which I'm hoping will really fit in well!!
 
This week at university I'm in on more days and I'll be starting to meet with my mentor to get everything started. I'm hoping to post another update on Wednesday so I'll tell you all how things are going!
 
 The fabric I found for my collection
 A little snapshop from during the week after a 5:45am start
The first few pages of my sketchbook
 
 

1 comment:

  1. That is a really interesting collection idea :)


    http://avpaccessories.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete