Tuesday 25 June 2013

What happened to Heatherette?

I've been doing a teeny bit of work on ideas for a collection next year and it reminded me of High School and a project I done on a corset design. Back then I was a 16 year old and my tastes were at opposite poles to what they are now but the inspiration behind my corset was down to the attention seeking and explosive colours that surround the designs of duo Heatherette.

I first came across Heatherette on an episode of 'My Super Sweet Sixteen' on MTV where the duo designed a one off outfit for a girl who was having her birthday party but wanted it to be insane and they went all out so that the outfit equaled this extravaganza.

Naturally the design duo stand out purely because it looks like they've single handedly decided to go against the rest of the fashion world in terms of aesthetics. The only thing I have ever seen even close to their aesthetic is the annual Victoria's Secret fashion show and even that looks slightly bland in comparison. However, as soon as I saw their dress and jacket combo on the telly I was smitten and decided to write about them in partnership with my corset design for my standard grade admission!

How do I even begin to describe the designs of Richie Rich and Traver Rains?

Well it's very 'candy land' and 'barbie.' Their earlier works are masses of vividly spraypainted tulle and glitter that launch an assault on the eyes at first but then cause intrigue. I personally look at the designs and get a feeling of a 5 year old girl in a dress up box, you can't help but think of youth and playfulness and I think that's a major driving factor behind why these designs were so well received, they give the wearer the chance to be that little girl again!

Their allure also lies in with the fact that their garments are never understated. It's all very in your face in terms of details and fabric. No one garment is just one colour, that is not the Heatherette way and strangely it works! Who wants an elegant satin gown that you can get from a hundred other designers when you can have a fru fru dress that attracts attention for all the wrong and yet oh so right reasons? 

This is why the Heatherette duo were loved, it is said that they would always kick off fashion weeks with a bang that left you longing for more and offered the perfect escape from fashionable reality. It was a show set on a glittering runway with a string of top models and celebrity fans who just kept the interest and success coming time and time again because the uniqueness was something to be celebrated...

HOWEVER! WHERE HAVE THEY GONE?

I recently took to the internet to see what they had been up to and instead of the usual pictures I'm used to seeing of them I was met with articles pondering the reason behind their absence from the catwalk over the past few years.

Artistic differences? Other work commitments? Bankruptcy? The list of possible consequences is endless and none come with a definitive answer. 

My theory about the downfall of the brand is that while their designs were a breath of fresh air from the norm they aren't incredibly marketable. The ready-to-wear line is way more accessible that the catwalk designs but even then you would have to be an incredibly brave soul to wear them to an event which makes advertising extremely hard. In terms of celebrity endorsement it's no secret that designers rely on celebrities wearing their garments on the red carpet to boost interest and profits but you can't exactly wear a Heatherette to the Oscars, at a push you could maybe brave the Met Gala but you run the risk of being misunderstood in your choice of dress.

Maybe in the future the duo will return with collections more suitable to these types of events but I will only accept them if some of the original and unique designs are kept in some way whether it mean the duo add an extra line or release a limited edition line of garments every so often to keep fans happy,one thing is for sure though, their glittering absence for the catwalk is being sorely missed by many .

Here are a few photos of the duos work!!






3 comments:

  1. Love this. I have a friend that just launched a kawaii line and was a follower of early Heatherette. Cake cult is the line

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traver rains has his own Line now my job is sponsoring a runway show that he is a part of .. he was at my job all day today and yesterday doing the fitting, I got to see all the clothes they are similar to the heatherette stuff, really cool. He also has ready to wear stuff

    ReplyDelete